Radon Test Kit InstructionsFor "Air Chek, Inc." Radon Test kit, the most widely used radon test kit in the world
© Air Chek Radon Test Kit instructions are top rated and renowned for its ease of use, accurate results and same-day processing. Air Chek’s radon test kit has been used over 4,000,000 times in homes worldwide, in over 300,000 of the nation’s schoolrooms, and in thousands of workplaces.
This is my preferred radon test kit, of the ones I’ve used in the past 20 years for home inspections and radon mitigation. I usually included this test kit with my radon mitigation jobs to confirm proper operation of the system and that the radon level is below 4.0 pCi/L. You can easily conduct your own top-rated radon test using this kit, here’s how to use it:
QUICK STARTING INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. PROVIDE ALL THE INFORMATION, MISSING INFO MAY INVALIDATE YOUR TEST RESULTS
- Print clearly your name and complete address and email address at the top.
- Then circle the starting date on the left Start Date column.
- Then circle the starting time on the left side Starting Clock.
- Be sure to provide all the information.
- Missing information may invalidate the test, if so no results are given.
- Sometimes missing or improper information can be corrected at the lab when the correct information is called in.
Step 2. SET TEST FOR A MINIMUM OF 48 HOURS
- Fold down the curved cardboard (at the crease) inside the packet opening, to hold the packet open as in the photo.
- Make sure the cardboard is holding the packet open as shown here.
- Now hang the packet, from the hook provided, at your normal breathing level.
- The red printed packets must be set for a minimum of 48 hours up to 96 hours (2 to 4 days).
- Blue printed test kits must be set for a minimum of 72 hours up to 168 hours (three to seven days).
Step 3. REMOVE AND DISCARD CARDBOARD INSERT
- Pull out and remove the cardboard insert.
- Discard the cardboard insert (trash).
- Fold back the envelope flap. Remove the adhesive’s protective cover and press flaps together to seal. DO NOT REMOVE from the test area until the packet is sealed. Make certain the packet is sealed air-tight. Repair any tears with a small piece of plastic tape. Leaks will invalidate the test.
Step 4. SEAL SHUT THE RADON TEST KIT
- DO NOT REMOVE from the test area until the packet is sealed.
- Fold back the envelope flap and remove the adhesive’s protective cover.
- Then press flaps together to seal. Make certain the packet is sealed air-tight.
- Repair any tears with a small piece of plastic tape. Leaks will invalidate the test.
- Remove and discard the plastic hanging loop.
Step 5. PROVIDE ALL THE INFORMATION, AS POINTED OUT HERE. MISSING INFO MAY INVALIDATE YOUR TEST RESULTS.
- Circle the ending date on the right End Date column.
- Then circle the ending time on the right side Ending Clock.
- Answer all the questions at the bottom by circling the best answers.
- Circle approximate average temperature (must be between 35-F and 85-F).
- If testing after radon mitigation, circle “POST-MITIGATION”.
- If testing for “REAL ESTATE”, it requires two kits to be used at the same time, side by side; So if you circle “REAL ESTATE” and send in only one test kit, the test will be invalid, no results given.
- Be sure to circle “YES” that you read all instructions.
Step 6. SEND COMPLETED TEST KIT TO LAB A.S.A.P.
- Send the radon test kit sample to the lab A.S.A.P.
- I highly recommend sending by Priority US mail (takes about 3 days from central NY)
- Better yet, send by FedEx next day or two-day delivery.
- If the sampler takes more than a week to get to the lab, test result will not be less accurate.
- Over 8 days from end of test before it arrives at the lab, you get only an estimated result.
- Over 11 days, NO result can be provided.
ADDITIONAL RADON TESTING INFORMATION
I have edited the following guidelines from the Air Chek, Inc. website. These guidelines are taylored specifically to the Air Chek Inc. brand of Radon Test Kits described above, and generally reflect the EPA’s Radon Testing Protocol.
WHEN TO TEST
You may use this test during any season, as long as closed building conditions can be maintained. All external doors, windows, and vents should be kept closed from 12 hours before starting the test until the end of the test. You don’t need to change your normal entry and exit routines, just make sure you close the door behind you. If the building has a permanently installed radon mitigation system, air to air heat exchanger, and/or combustion air supplies for furnaces, etc., they should be operated normally. However, do not operate any whole house or window fans during the test. This test should not be started if severe weather is predicted. For example, a major storm system with winds exceeding 30 miles per hour.
HOW LONG TO LEAVE THE SAMPLER IN PLACE
This red lettered radon test sampler is the one I normally hand out for post mitigation tests and is designed to be exposed 48 to 96 hours (two to four days) and the blue lettered test sampler is designed to be exposed 72 to 168 hours (three to seven days). This means you must leave it in place for at least 2 days for the red and 3 days for the blue. You may expose either up to 7 days if you are not testing in a humid environment (over 55% relative humidity). Either way, your test result will be an average of approximately the last 4 days of the exposure period.
PLACEMENT OF RADON TEST KITS
Test the lowest livable area of the building that is used on a regular basis. EXCEPTION: Citizens of Pennsylvania are required to test the lowest LIVABLE area of the building. This is especially important if only one test is being conducted, or if this is a follow-up test to confirm the need to mitigate for radon. Place it where it will not be disturbed. The preferred method is to hang the sampler centrally in the room. Use one sampler for every 2000 square feet of floor space being tested. It should be within the normal breathing zone (2 to 6 feet from the floor). The sampler may be hung from an interior non-masonry wall as long as the opening is not blocked (at least 4 inches clearance) and it is facing toward an open area of the room. String may be useful to hang the kit from the ceiling or light fixture. DO NOT place it in a draft. Keep it 3 feet or more from doorways, hallways, windows, exterior walls, and heating or air-conditioning vents. Do not place it in the same room with any type of operating fan or blower. Air blowing on or near an activated charcoal sampler may increase its sensitivity to radon. DO NOT place it near any heat source such as a stove, fireplace, or baseboard heater. Keep it out of direct sunlight. Heat may reduce the sensitivity of some radon measurement devices. DO NOT test areas of high humidity, such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, closets, or damp basements. If you must test a damp or humid room (over 55% RH), then test only for the shortest recommended period. Moisture may reduce the sensitivity of some radon measurement devices. DO NOT place this sampler within 3 feet of another activated charcoal device. (Exception: you may place two of the same type and model of test device within 12 inches of each other when conducting a Quality Control audit or when testing for a real estate transaction.) NOTE: The use of radon testing kits for real estate transactions requires two test kits placed side by side; if only one test kit is used it is invalid for the purpose of a real estate transaction.
WHAT CAN GO WRONG
A short note from the Air Chek lab director: Our laboratory has processed over two million radon tests and we have seen almost everything that can happen to a radon test sample. We have thousands of unreturnable test results stored in our computer, because of missing or unreadable information. You must provide complete readable information or a reprocessing fee may be charged before releasing results. Send the sample to the lab A.S.A.P. Radon does not last forever. If the sampler takes more than a week to get to our lab your test result will not be as accurate as one that arrived within three or four days. Over 8 days to our lab and you get only an estimated result. Over 11 days, NO result can be provided. If you have not received your test result within three weeks, send your name/address, the times, dates, serial number of the test, and any other pertinent information to: Radon Lab, 1936 Butler Bridge Rd, Mills River, NC 28759-3892. Fax: (828) 684-8498, Email: email@example.com
800-AIR-CHEK (800-247-2435) · Hours: 8:30-5:30 Eastern Time, Monday – Friday